words and photos by Terembe Cherono
Happy New Year!
It’s officially January 2022, we’ve ushered in a new year. It’s an opportunity to start on a clean slate and set new goals and ambitions. Here’s what I’m choosing to remember this year:
- There are many different strategies for change – sometimes it’s more useful to put small incremental changes in place, other times, a more radical, cold turkey approach is necessary. Be flexible and open to both as needed.
- Break down your goals into small daily or weekly habits and focus on meeting those consistently.
- Ease in, don’t feel the pressure to have everything in place immediately on the first day (or even the first few months) of the year.
- You don’t need to prove yourself by attaining a high level of productivity or accomplishments. Your value as a person just is! This TikTok explains it perfectly.
- You can reset and start afresh at any point – new beginnings are not limited to the start of the year.
Dress by UDOAKU
I’ll leave you with this quote from one of my favourite poems ‘Desiderata‘ – “And whether or not it is clear to you, no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should” and some of my favourite affirmations:
- I honour my commitments to myself
- I make good choices
- I deserve a quality of life that does not come at the expense of sacrifice or trauma
- I am proud of myself
- I believe in the person I am and the person I dream of becoming
What are some of your intentions for the year? Let me know in the comments below. Wishing you all the most incredible year ahead!
Terembe Cherono is a creator, curator and digital strategist based in Nairobi, Kenya. For the last 10 years, Terembe has used her social media platforms (particularly Instagram and YouTube), to share lifestyle content using extremely compelling storytelling formats. In the last two years, she has developed a highly popular technique for Instagram Stories known as a ‘Daily Recap’ used by numerous content creators globally. She has supported several influencers and small businesses to leverage social media for brand building and sales.
Really glad i found your website and social media in the beginning of the year.
My problem has always been inconsistency and i want to change that this year.
This was really helpful and encouraging. Thanks😊
Welcome, glad to have you here 🙂 wishing you a year of consistency in your commitments! You got this.
Great article and great pictures too! I love the point you made about the different strategies for change. It’s an important one to remember!
Oh yes, definitely! Thanks for reading and for your feedback:)